(1 of 3) Most Common Motherboard Problems & Solutions

How do you deal with motherboard problems?

• I can fix it myself.

• Ask for tech support.

• Replace it with a new one.

• Others. Share your opinions.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Geekom Official

OUR STORY
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 25, 2022
www.geekompc.com
Credits
The motherboard is the largest, most important component of a computer. Chances are your computer would not turn on at all without one. Yet it can still be amongst the easiest to damage or destroy. Troubleshooting a malfunctioning motherboard can be difficult, especially for someone who does not have experience with electronics repair. Here are some tips to help you find out what’s wrong and how to fix it.

Let's look at the most common motherboard problems and how to fix them

1662192455814.png

1 )Not enough power​

This problem is easily solved by buying better power supply cables. If that doesn’t work, then there may be another hardware issue preventing your system from turning on properly, such as a dead RAM stick or faulty processor. The only way to know for sure is to open up your case and check inside yourself (if you’re comfortable doing so).

2) Frequent crashing​

Your motherboard may not be able to handle the voltage output of your power supply. If you have an aftermarket CPU cooler, such as a liquid-cooling system, then you might want to consider buying a better PSU with more wattage. Another thing that can cause problems is simply having too many devices plugged in at once; try unplugging everything but your CPU and video card (if you have one). If that doesn’t help, then it’s likely you need to disable some startup programs or invest in better hardware.

3) Loud squealing sound on startup​

The only way to fix this problem is by purchasing new fans for your case. While you’re at it, you should look into putting some stronger fans in your case, because the standard ones that came with it probably don’t do a very good job at cooling down your already-overworked motherboard.

1662192544725.png

4) Computer randomly shuts off​

You need a better power supply unit. If your computer shutdowns down randomly while using it, most standard power supplies cause this problem. The only way to fix it is by buying a better PSU so that you never experience the issue again. If you have an aftermarket CPU cooler, such as a liquid-cooling system, then you might want to consider buying a better PSU with more wattage. Another thing that can cause problems is simply having too many devices plugged in at once; try unplugging everything but your hard drive, monitor, and keyboard. A third (and probably the least likely) cause of this issue is having a short-out in your motherboard; if it’s an old motherboard, my advice is to buy a new one.
Note: Be sure not to buy a cheap PSU; make sure it’s gold-certified for efficiency.

5) Computer does not turn on​

If you have done everything above and are still having trouble getting your computer to turn on, then you might have a dead power supply unit. I know what you’re thinking–how can that be? It doesn’t work when I plug it into electricity! Well just because the PSUs button light turns green doesn’t mean that there is enough power being sent through its wiring to the motherboard. If it is a standard power supply, I would recommend buying a better power supply so you don’t have to replace it again in six months.

googletranslate

Category navigation