Proxmox Hypervisor and Windows 11 VM Setup: HDMI/DisplayPort Passthrough & Product Key Reuse

Nikica Škunca

L1
Jul 8, 2023
Croatia
Credits
Hi,

I have a Geekom IT11 equipped with 32GB RAM and a 1TB SSD. I'm planning to install Proxmox as a Type 1 Hypervisor on it. Among the various Virtual Machines (VMs) I aim to run on this setup, I want one Windows 11 VM to function as a Home Media server.

I have two questions regarding this setup:
1. Is it possible to pass through either the HDMI or DisplayPort to the Windows VM? This would allow the VM to display natively and directly on a TV equipped with HDMI/DisplayPort. If so, could you explain how this is accomplished?
2. Can I reuse the Windows 11 Pro Product Key that came with the IT 11 for the Windows 11 Pro VM? I'm only planning to run a single instance of the VM.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Best regards,
Nikica

Geekom Official

OUR STORY
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 25, 2022
www.geekompc.com
Credits
Hi there,

Thank you for your questions.

1. Yes, it is possible to pass through either the HDMI or DisplayPort to the Windows VM. This would allow the VM to display natively and directly on a TV equipped with HDMI/DisplayPort. To do this, you need to configure the VM settings to use a PCI passthrough device for the graphics card. You also need to connect the HDMI or DisplayPort cable from the TV to the graphics card port on the IT 11. Then, you can start the VM and select the appropriate input source on the TV.

2. Yes, you can reuse the Windows 11 Pro Product Key that came with the IT 11 for the Windows 11 Pro VM.

googletranslate

Category navigation