Does usb4 support egpu

I want to play the latest big games, but I'm worried that the mini pc will barely run them at the lowest settings. I was even a little shocked when I tried to upgrade my pc to run them perfectly and I found out it only has integrated graphics. I can't upgrade it outside of memory and storage. It can't be replaced because the cpu is soldered to death. However, I might consider buying a separate gpu, and I see that IT 11 has usb4 ports. Does usb4 support egpu?

Reya

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 23, 2023
Credits
Hey Asbefore,

Good to see you!

Conclusion: Yes,USB4 can certainly connect to eGPU because USB4 is compatible with Thunderbolt 4, not to mention backward compatible with Thunderbolt 3. USB4 is a universal interface cable that USB-IF association built based on the underlying protocol of Thunderbolt 3, and it is backward compatible with protocols such as Thunderbolt 3, USB3.2, USB3.1, etc.

Thunderbolt 3 can bring a transmission speed of 40Gbps, which is enough to rival the theoretical bandwidth of PCI-E 3.0 X4, and it will not be a bottleneck between the computer and the discrete graphics card. AMD and Intel have officially announced the support for external graphics cards with Thunderbolt 3. This means that any mini PC or laptop equipped with a Thunderbolt 3 port can run a full-spec discrete graphics card through this port.

1. How difficult is the installation?
2. Can it be hot-swapped?
3. How much performance loss is there?
4. Can it power the device during use?

In terms of installation difficulty, you only need to use a Thunderbolt 3 graphics card expansion dock and a graphics card driver.

About hot-swapped, after unplugging the Thunderbolt 3 cable in an idle state, the screen can still display the picture normally.

The internal principle is the same as a direct connection with the PCLe slot, but the performance will be slightly reduced by about 10%.

The power output function of the Thunderbolt 3 expansion dock requires adaptation from the receiving end, and most universal expansion docks shield the power output function.

Some of our Geekom Mini PC models, such as IT11, IT12, and AS6 have USB4 ports, and Fun9 has Thunderbolt 4 interface.
I want to play the latest big games, but I'm worried that the mini pc will barely run them at the lowest settings. I was even a little shocked when I tried to upgrade my pc to run them perfectly and I found out it only has integrated graphics. I can't upgrade it outside of memory and storage. It can't be replaced because the cpu is soldered to death. However, I might consider buying a separate gpu, and I see that IT 11 has USB4 ports. Does usb4 support egpu?

googletranslate

Category navigation