Fan speed control - Mini IT11

elseed

L1
Jun 30, 2023
US
Credits
Is there a way to control the fan speed settings of the Mini IT11? Is there a BIOS upgrade or setting that allows this?

I see an article posted for Mini Air11 that mentions revised BIOS.

Thanks!

Geekom Official

OUR STORY
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 25, 2022
www.geekompc.com
Credits
Dear elseed,

Glad to see you.

Yes, IT11 can change the fan speed directly by setting it in the BIOS.

Press F7 to enter bios when booting, menu select "Advanced" - Fan Mode - Quiet Mode.

Please note, changing the fan speed may affect the cooling of the Mini PC.

elseed

L1
Jun 30, 2023
US
Credits
Thank you for the response.

I cannot find the 'Fan Mode" bios setting mentioned above in the Advanced menu. Have BIO Core Version 5.19, Bios Version R6G07 (8/05/2022). Is there an updated or different version of BIOS for this?

In my version under the Advanced menu, there is "Platform Thermal Configuration" with Active Trip Points 0 (90C) and 1 (55C), and associated Fan Speeds (90% and 50%).

Please let me know how to find or set to equivalent fan Quiet Mode.

Reya

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 23, 2023
Credits
Dear SpamBot,

I think this is an interesting topic.:D

One of the challenges in designing a device that operates at high speeds is to ensure that the speed controller is properly integrated with the housing of the device. The speed controller is a component that regulates the rotational speed of the device, such as a fan, a pump, or a motor. The housing of the device is the outer casing that protects the internal parts from external factors, such as dust, moisture, or vibration.

There are different ways to mount the speed controller on the housing of the device, depending on the type and size of the device, the power source, and the environmental conditions. Some examples of speed controllers that can be mounted on the housing are:

- Potentiometers: These are variable resistors that can be adjusted manually to change the voltage or current supplied to the device. They are simple and inexpensive, but they may not be very accurate or durable.
- Switches: These are devices that can turn on or off the power supply to the device, or switch between different preset speeds. They are easy to use and reliable, but they may not offer much flexibility or control.
- Sensors: These are devices that can measure various parameters, such as temperature, pressure, or airflow, and adjust the speed of the device accordingly. They are smart and efficient, but they may require more wiring and programming.

The advantages of putting the speed controller on the housing of the device are:

- It reduces the space and weight of the device, as there is no need for separate wiring or mounting for the speed controller.
- It improves the accessibility and visibility of the speed controller, as it is located on the outer surface of the device.
- It enhances the safety and performance of the device, as it prevents overheating, overloading, or short-circuiting of the speed controller.

The disadvantages of putting the speed controller on the housing of the device are:

- It exposes the speed controller to more environmental hazards, such as dust, moisture, or vibration, which may damage or interfere with its functionality.
- It limits the design and aesthetics of the device, as it may affect its shape, size, or color.
- It increases the cost and complexity of manufacturing and maintenance of the device, as it requires more precision and quality control.

Therefore, putting the speed controller on the housing of the device is a trade-off between convenience and quality. There is no definitive answer to whether it is a good or bad practice, as it depends on various factors and preferences. However, there are some examples of devices that have successfully implemented this method in world practice, such as:

- Ceiling fans: Some ceiling fans have a speed controller mounted on their housing, which can be operated by a remote control or a wall switch. This allows users to adjust the speed and direction of airflow without reaching for the fan itself.
- Electric drills: Some electric drills have a speed controller mounted on their housing, which can be operated by a trigger or a dial. This allows users to control the speed and torque of drilling without changing their grip or posture.
- Vacuum cleaners: Some vacuum cleaners have a speed controller mounted on their housing, which can be operated by a button or a slider. This allows users to regulate the suction power and noise level of cleaning without bending down or moving away from the cleaner.

Regards,
Reya

elseed

L1
Jun 30, 2023
US
Credits
My thread here - still looking for info, rather than SpamBot disruption:

>> I cannot find the 'Fan Mode" bios setting mentioned above in the Advanced menu. Have BIO Core Version 5.19, Bios Version R6G07 (8/05/2022). Is there an updated or different version of BIOS for this?

elseed

L1
Jun 30, 2023
US
Credits
Hi have you found a solution to the Fan noise problem ?
Hi Michael - Thanks for being apparently legitimate poster.
I modified a couple fan BIOS settings as a test - Active trip point from 90 --> 85, other trip point from 50 --> 45. Believe those are percentages of full fan speed.

This certainly helped, but did not solve the issue of noise and choppy speed control. My hearing is not great in high frequencies either.

michael brunhøi

L1
Aug 15, 2023
Denmark
Credits
Hi Michael - Thanks for being apparently legitimate poster.
I modified a couple fan BIOS settings as a test - Active trip point from 90 --> 85, other trip point from 50 --> 45. Believe those are percentages of full fan speed.

This certainly helped, but did not solve the issue of noise and choppy speed control. My hearing is not great in high frequencies either.
Hi

no effect with my IT11, the fan keep blowing at (what sounds like) full speed, im frustrated with the noise it sounds like at jet airplane

SpamBot

L3
Apr 15, 2023
Moscow
Credits
Dear SpamBot,

I think this is an interesting topic.:D

One of the challenges in designing a device that operates at high speeds is to ensure that the speed controller is properly integrated with the housing of the device. The speed controller is a component that regulates the rotational speed of the device, such as a fan, a pump, or a motor. The housing of the device is the outer casing that protects the internal parts from external factors, such as dust, moisture, or vibration.

There are different ways to mount the speed controller on the housing of the device, depending on the type and size of the device, the power source, and the environmental conditions. Some examples of speed controllers that can be mounted on the housing are:

- Potentiometers: These are variable resistors that can be adjusted manually to change the voltage or current supplied to the device. They are simple and inexpensive, but they may not be very accurate or durable.
- Switches: These are devices that can turn on or off the power supply to the device, or switch between different preset speeds. They are easy to use and reliable, but they may not offer much flexibility or control.
- Sensors: These are devices that can measure various parameters, such as temperature, pressure, or airflow, and adjust the speed of the device accordingly. They are smart and efficient, but they may require more wiring and programming.

The advantages of putting the speed controller on the housing of the device are:

- It reduces the space and weight of the device, as there is no need for separate wiring or mounting for the speed controller.
- It improves the accessibility and visibility of the speed controller, as it is located on the outer surface of the device.
- It enhances the safety and performance of the device, as it prevents overheating, overloading, or short-circuiting of the speed controller.

The disadvantages of putting the speed controller on the housing of the device are:

- It exposes the speed controller to more environmental hazards, such as dust, moisture, or vibration, which may damage or interfere with its functionality.
- It limits the design and aesthetics of the device, as it may affect its shape, size, or color.
- It increases the cost and complexity of manufacturing and maintenance of the device, as it requires more precision and quality control.

Therefore, putting the speed controller on the housing of the device is a trade-off between convenience and quality. There is no definitive answer to whether it is a good or bad practice, as it depends on various factors and preferences. However, there are some examples of devices that have successfully implemented this method in world practice, such as:

- Ceiling fans: Some ceiling fans have a speed controller mounted on their housing, which can be operated by a remote control or a wall switch. This allows users to adjust the speed and direction of airflow without reaching for the fan itself.
- Electric drills: Some electric drills have a speed controller mounted on their housing, which can be operated by a trigger or a dial. This allows users to control the speed and torque of drilling without changing their grip or posture.
- Vacuum cleaners: Some vacuum cleaners have a speed controller mounted on their housing, which can be operated by a button or a slider. This allows users to regulate the suction power and noise level of cleaning without bending down or moving away from the cleaner.

Regards,
Reya
These are all standard solutions. no question about that. but what if I told you that the fan speed can be controlled by PWM. Moreover, the regulator can be designed as a screen on the device body, so that the surface remains flat.

The topic of noise has already been touched upon in this thread. Which is probably caused by the design features of all MINI PCs. The same fan speeds can be regulated NOT through the BIOS, but by special software, using the same methods described by me.

It is strange that I got an answer faster than the creator of the thread, and most importantly his question has not yet been solved as I understand?

googletranslate

Category navigation